how to create your own essential oil blend
tips for creating the essential blend
Dream up any number of scent combinations to suit every mood, room and occasion. Essential oils are grouped into scent types - floral, woody, menthol, herbal and citrus as well as scent notes - 'top', 'middle' and 'base', which when combined create a well-balanced fragrance that lift the mood and calm the mind. To capture the essence of nature's goodness try blending florals and citrus scents, or menthol and woody oils together to create a harmonious fragrance.
- Floral - Geranium, Lavender
- Woody - Patchouli
- Menthol - Eucalyptus, Peppermint
- Citrus - Lemon, Lemon Myrtle, Orange Sweet
- Herbal - Lemongrass
Ideally your essential oil blend contains a top, middle and base note, allowing for a balanced blend that is pleasing to the senses. A top note is a light and subtle scent that evaporates quickly. While the middle note makes up the bulk of the fragrance, with the scent becoming apparent under the top note. Finally the base note is the heaviest scent and the slowest to disperse.
- Top notes - Eucalyptus, Lemon, Lemongrass, Lemon Myrtle, Orange Sweet, Peppermint
- Middle notes - Geranium, Lavender
- Base notes - Patchouli
Creating unique essential oil combinations is simple as following the tips listed below:
- Regardless of application, start by mixing 10 drops of essential oils in total, in a clean bowl or bottle. Small amber glass bottles are ideal as they ensure oils are not exposed to direct sunlight or have the chance evaporate quickly.
- Follow the 30:50:20 ratio when mixing scent notes - 30% top note (3 drops), 50% middle note (5 drops) and 20% base note (2 drops), label each new blend clearly.
- Essential oil blends perform best after 'resting' for a day or so, this will allow the oils to blend and harmonise fully.
- As pure essential oils must be diluted before use on skin, add 1 drop of your essential oils blend to 1 teaspoon of your favourite carrier oil. For sensitive skin, add 1 drop of your essential oils blend to 1 tablespoon of your favourite carrier oil.
- Your unique essential oils blend can now be added to your diffuser, a relaxing bath, applied as a luxurious skin treatment or used for a soothing massage, the possibilities are endless.
essential oils recipe guide
Create your favourite scent blend by mixing Natio's essential oils to help de-stress, relieve pain, refresh the body and calm the mind. When mixing oils, woody scents and citrus fragrances always blend well together. Stronger scents such as Peppermint and Patchouli can overpower a scent blend, however this is easily remedied with a hint of Lemon or Lavender. Blending oils is similar to cooking, with practice you will gain confidence with personal scent preferences and combinations.
Essential Oils don't always need to be mixed together to create a pleasing fragrance, they can be enjoyed as a single aromatic scent. If you are unsure about mixing Essential Oils yourself, Natio has taken the guesswork out of mixing oils with its nine Essential Oil Blends, each featuring multiple essential oils carefully curated for you to enjoy.
|Mood / Concern||Essential Oils often used (use one or blend multiple)||Recommended Natio
Essential Oil Blend*
|Stress||Geranium, Lavender, Lemon, Lemongrass, Peppermint, Orange Sweet||Relax, Harmony||Body Massage, Bath|
|Fatigue||Eucalyptus, Peppermint||Australia, Calm, Purify, Sleep||Bath, Foot bath|
|Sleeplessness||Lavender||Harmony, Sleep||Body Massage, Bath, Diffusion|
|Concentration||Lemon, Patchouli, Peppermint||Purify||Diffusion|
|Headache||Eucalyptus, Lavender, Lemongrass, Peppermint||Harmony, Relax, Sleep||Body Massage, Bath, Compress|
|Meditation||Geranium, Lavender, Lemon, Lemon Myrtle, Patchouli||Australia, Harmony, Relax, Sleep||Diffusion|
|Refresh / Purity||Lemon, Lemon Myrtle, Lemongrass||Purify, Energy, Calm, Sleep||Diffusion|
|Celebration||Lemon, Orange Sweet||Energy, Happy, Passion||Diffusion|
|*Use one at a time, do not mix blends.|