The beauty of essential oils lies in their simplicity and versatility. With Natio’s 100% pure and natural essential oils you can dream up any number of scent combinations to suit every mood, room and occasion to blend together, diffuse with ease and create a feeling of total wellbeing.
tips for creating the essential blend
Similarly to perfumes, essential oils are grouped into scent types - floral, woody, menthol, herbal and citrus, as well as scent notes - 'top', 'middle' and 'base', which when combined create a well-balanced fragrance that lift the mood and calm the mind. To capture the perfectly balanced essence of mother nature, try blending together floral and citrus scents, or menthol and woody oils to create a captivating, harmonious, unique fragrance.
- Floral Essential Oils - Geranium, Lavender
- Woody Essential Oils - Patchouli, Tea Tree
- Menthol Essential Oils - Eucalyptus, Peppermint
- Citrus Essential Oils - Lemon, Lemon Myrtle, Orange Sweet
- Herbal Essential Oils - Lemongrass
Ideally your essential oil blend contains a top, middle and base note, allowing for a balanced blend that is pleasing to the senses. The best way to think of a top note is something that is light and subtle that evaporates quickly. The middle note makes up the bulk of the fragrance, with the scent becoming apparent under the top note. Finally, the base note is the heaviest scent and the slowest to disperse; the scent you a left with the longest.
- Top notes - Eucalyptus, Lemon, Lemongrass, Lemon Myrtle, Orange Sweet, Peppermint
- Middle notes - Geranium, Lavender, Tea Tree
- Base notes - Patchouli
Creating your own unique essential oil combination is as simple as following the tips listed below:
- Regardless of application, start by mixing 10 drops of essential oils in total, in a clean bowl or bottle. Small amber glass bottles are ideal as they ensure oils are not exposed to direct sunlight or have the chance evaporate quickly.
- Follow the 30:50:20 ratio when mixing scent notes - 30% top note (3 drops), 50% middle note (5 drops) and 20% base note (2 drops), label each new blend clearly.
- Essential oil blends perform best after 'resting' for a day or so, this will allow the oils to blend and harmonise fully.
- If you plan on using your essential oil blend as part of a skin or body treatment, it must first be diluted (pure essential oils should not be used directly on the skin). Do this easily by adding 1 drop of your essential oil blend to 1 teaspoon of your favourite carrier oil. For sensitive skin, add 1 drop of your essential oils blend to 1 tablespoon of your favourite carrier oil. Some common carrier oils are Jojoba or Sweet Almond.
- Your unique essential oil blend can now be added to your diffuser, a relaxing bath, applied as a luxurious skin treatment or used for a soothing massage - the possibilities for enjoyment are endless.
To deep dive into our entire 100% pure, natural Essential Oil range click the link to learn more about the individual benefits and scent profiles: https://www.natio.com.au/collections/essential-oil
essential oils recipe guide & blending tips
Create your favourite scent blend by mixing Natio's essential oils to help de-stress, relieve pain, refresh the body and calm the mind. When mixing oils, woody scents and citrus fragrances always blend well together. Stronger scents such as Peppermint and Patchouli can overpower a scent blend, however this is easily remedied with a hint of Lemon or Lavender. Just like anything new, with practice you will learn and gain confidence creating your own personal scent preferences.
Of course, essential oils don’t need to be blended together - they can always be enjoyed as a single, pure aromatic scent. And if you enjoy the complexity of blended oils but would like the guesswork taken out of process, consider Natio’s range of Essential Oil Blends. This curated range of oils features multiple 100% pure essential oils beautifully blended in each bottle, to create inspiring natural scents for you to enjoy.